Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 1 of 28 Days of My Family History - Vanessa Octavia Barton - My Aunt

February 2011 has officially started and we are at yet another start to Black History month.  I noticed on another site quite a few friends were going to be posting, as they did last year, daily posts about famous events or famous people who had an impact on the history of African Americans. I wanted to do something different.  I decided to give an account of my own family history for 28 days.  I started by calling and interviewing various family members on people and events they remember and I hope at the end of 28 days, I learn a lot more about my family and others will learn more about them as well. 


For Day 1, my spotlight is on my aunt Vanessa Octavia Barton, my dads youngest sister, born May 13, 1955.  She departed this life after a lengthy illness on June 21, 1987.  Vanessa was the youngest daughter of John and Mary Barton and was sister to 6 brothers and sisters whom she loved very very much.  My family had a few fondly nick names for Vanessa.  She was called "Nessa" by some, and "Neck" by others.  I used both intermittenly.  My fondest memories of Nessa were of those times rollerskating.  She more than loved rollerskating.  I think it was something in the family.  I remember years after she had passed, finding her rollerskates in a closet at my grandmother's house.  Her love for rollerskating carried over to all of her nieces and nephews.  Even today, you can find my own rollerskates either in my garage or in the back of my truck, ready to hit to roller rink.  I dont rollerskate as much as I used to but i'm on my way back to that.  I remember how much fun it was and how much Vanessa loved skating and talking about skating.  Vanessa also loved McDonald's food.  She worked for many years at Kmart and as far back as I can remember, she always worked retail.  She also loved to sing.  And she could sing!!!  She loved singing in church and even sang on the women's choir at United Baptist Church that was named after her mother, "The Mary E Barton Women's Chorus.  Vanessa was also very athletic.  She loved sports and loved playing volleyball and softball.  Vanessa is missed everyday by my family.  She had the prettiest eyes, the brightest smile and the largest heart.



5 comments:

  1. Comment from long time family friend, Randy S. "I will never forget the women's day service when Vanessa raised her hands after the doctor said that her hands would not raise. We witnessed many blessings and miracles under our wonderful Pastor G E Vanderford"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment from one of my high school friends Tehera "Very nice."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment from longtime family friend Mary Demory "Vanessa was a sweetheart."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment from my cousin Herman "This was a great picture of Aunt Vanessa...."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comment from my mom "WOW! This is awesome, she really was a special young lady who indeed did love her neices and nephews like her own and would babysit without charging, now that's saying a whole lot."

    ReplyDelete