Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 7 of 28 Days of My Family History - LTG Exchange and my Uncle Melvin




Day 7 of 28 Days of My Family History - My Uncle Melvin and LTG Exchange..So i'm changing it up a bit and introducing you all to one of my favorite uncles Melvin, born to my grandparents, John and Mary Barton and is one of my dads brothers.  Doc, as he is called by those close to him ...is pure walking music. If anyone has ever seen my uncle play the guitar or the keyboard, you know its a remarkable experience. Everything about him says music and it radiates from him and you cant help but tap your feet, bop your head and get caught up in his playing. My uncle was part of a group called LTG Exchange back in the 70s. 

The LTG Exchange: the percussionist Bruce Slade (Blue), the drummer Victor Santos (Toast), the guitarist Kevin Beverly (Gongo), the piano-keyboardist Walter Chiles (Wart) and Melvin (Doc) Barton on bass.
The LTG Exchange -- a seminal group in the early days of disco, one who blended together elements of funk, Latin, jazz and up tempo soul, into a groove that was one of the hippest on the New York scene of the mid 70s. Their first CD includes full-length versions of such dance floor stormers as "Waterbed" (in both vocal and instrumental versions), "Tsen Si Yen Yen", "Corazon", "I Like What I Like", "Give It Love", and an unreleased track called "A Young Mother's Love". As to the sound of the LTG Exchange, one listen will highlight the various influences of the day from Funk to Salsa with R’n’ B’/Jazz into 70's DISCO. This group was honored in Puerto Rico as being one of only two recording groups that were invited to play at the opening of The Roberto Clemente Memorial Coliseum” in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The other group, “The Fania All-stars”, was composed of the most famous and influential Latin musicians of that day (Ray Baretto, Mongo Santamaria, etc.). Their first CD, opening with the very popular Disco Hit "WATERBED" (which was later covered and put on the charts again by jazz musician Herbie Mann) followed by Carol King’s CORAZON, is a rare groove which also enjoyed huge club audience response. Available for the first time on CD in the U S. Special attention to the LTG versions of "I Like what I Like" and their metropolitan sound of The Beatles "My Love" which are textured exhibits of the virtuosity of their musical changes in mood and party. Their very danceable "Huddle" is considered one of the best of the bunch from this group, and was released as an early promo-only 12" on Atlantic records. Their most important work was the world’s only Black Rock Operetta “Susie Heartbreaker” released on RCA in 1975 that included the hits “Money Mad”, “Sky High”, “Stone Broke” and the street-smooth Latin tune “Dinero”.
My uncle Melvin is still playing the guitar and the keyboard with the same zest he always had that I remember throughout my entire life. Skip on over to youtube one day and you can find music by LTG Exchange, like Corozon and Waterbed and sign that even now his music from back then, like now, still touches everyone.  Here is a link to Corazon on youtube..take a listen.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iy2-1Ogjtw   Here is a link to the song Waterbed by LTG exchange, found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P5awBqg0_Y 

I asked him recently about some childhood memories and a few other questions and here is what he shared with me. 
1.  What are some of your great childhood memories?

Waiting for the birth of Bone (George),  Neck (Vanessa) and Da Boy (Raymond). I remember when Pop came back from the hospital when Bay (short for baby boy) was born ... he said  "...you're mother had a boy". And when they brought him home we asked "Is that da boy" ... Pop said "yeah" ... since that moment he's been Da Boy.

2.  What are some of the places where you have traveled and what did you see and experience?
 Puerto Rico (The Roberto Clemente Colliseum) and Venezula (A thoroughbred race track) are a couple that I can mention. In both cases my band was a part of the featured entertainment.  We also were a part of the National Telethon that raised money for Black Colleges. There I met Sammy Davis Jr. and was his guest and on his show at the National Republican Convention held in Miami.

3.  What do you wish for your daughter in her future?
I pray that she is always happy and has everything that she needs in abundance.

4.  What would you like people to remember most about you in 100 years?
 Mr. Happy Man. Loved his family. Loved his God. Loved his work.

 

4 comments:

  1. Comment from a cousin, Herm, "Ha ha..look at Uncle Melvin mugg...he given it to 'em like "Now what"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment from my Aunt Jackie, "That picture of my brother is very evident of his swagger today... That's why we call him DOC...He's still the man..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today Doc takes the time out of his busy schedule to be a bi-monthly blood donator at the Red Cross and play the piano for resisdents at a local assisted living facility in a North Carolina city. God blesses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss them ALL! I remember them messing with me as a child whenever my Dad would bring me around. I'm Victor's son BTW...

    ReplyDelete