Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 3 of 28 Days of My Family History - Colonel Paul James Cockrell - My Uncle





Pressing forward and here we are at day 3 of my family history.  I tell you this research has been eye opening.  As i'm contacting family members, even they are getting excited about who or whats next and its bringing to their minds, great family memories and stories to tell.  Stories i'm hoping they will share as comments on the various blog posts.  I want to know it all and keep all of our family members fresh in our minds.  Uncle PJ was quite memorable.  He was a funny dude.  Uncle PJ was my grandmother's brother, and to me he was her twin.  I am was amazed when I started pulling out pictures how much he and my grandmother looked alike.  They walked a lot alike also.  They were also very close.  Colonel Paul James Cockrell was born Aug. 11, 1926 to Jeremiah and Octavia (Shumate) Cockrell.  He went on to glory, suddenly on Aug. 12, 1989. He spent his early years in Meridian, Mississippi, where the Cockrell family is from.  He was a member of St. John Baptist Church in Meridian and I remember visiting that very church as a child.   Like most of the Cockrell children, Uncle PJ was a musician who often assisted in services while living and growing up in Meridian, MS. Uncle PJ was very active in the community after moving to Maryland. Fol...lowing his time spent in the military and completing college, earning a Juris Doctor Degree, hhe established the Associated Civic Democratic Club, worked as an NAACP lawyer and joined the Hiram Grand Lodge as a free mason. His military record was so notable that he was honored by having it made a part of the Congressional Record at the time of his retirement. Uncle PJ enjoyed history, military strategy and studying languages which led to his being considered for an Ambassadorship and appointed to a Congressional Advisory Board.  My most notable rememberence is that all the kids use to call Uncle PJ a penquin because he stood and walked like a penguin. He would laugh and smile with us every time we would say it. He had a big, kind heart and loved his family very much!!See More

5 comments:

  1. Here is a comment from my Aunt Jackie Carter.."Jacquelyn Carter Uncle PJ's hearty laughter would fill the room, so much so that everyone else would start laughing. When he practiced Law, he often employed some family members..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a comment from my cousin Roman Carter "Roman Carter Thanks for the history cheryl,i didn't know unce pj was a musician, i just knew about his later years ..thanks"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment from one of my high school friends Cassie "Cheryl - I am really enjoying reading your family history."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment from my cousin Michael Gibbs " PJ was choosen by JFK for a ambassador position. PJ help black young men to go to West Point Academy. Uncle PJ wrote the briefing for Thurgood Marshall BROWN VS BOARD OF EDUCATION!! Uncle PJ final resting place is at Arlington Cementary on MacArthur Drive :-) and list goes on."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was extremely honored to be my Uncle's personal valet from the time he joined the ROTC until long after he had opened his own law firm and had his own US Army appointed personal aid. He has always been my personal hero and mentor. I believe that he never hear an arpatio that he didn't like. THAT MAN COULD PLAY PIANO LIKE NO ONE I HAVE EVER HEARD. There are some things in music that he use to do that I am still trying to master.

    ReplyDelete