Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 4 of 28 Days of My Family History - Joseph Jennings - My Great Grandfather





Joseph Jennings, July 20, 1893 - March 20, 1974. He was married to Annie McLearin and they were the parents of Theodore, James, Charles, Joseph and Doris.  My great-grandfather and two of his sisters married and sister and two brothers.  How often do you see that.   He served in the military as a mechanic and served in World War I. My great grandfather raised my mother after her father passed when she was a young child. My brothers and I affectionately called ...him "Downdaddy". Odd name right? I know. The story is, when we were kids, we would often go to his house in the 1000 block of Durham Street, which is no longer there. My mom would tell us, "lets go down daddys." We heard it so much that we grew to call him "down daddy" from my mom saying lets go down daddys. Funny I know but we loved our name for him. I didnt live long enough to see us become adults but he would be very proud of the my mother and the life she has led and the three children she had that he loved so much!!!

7 comments:

  1. Comment from one of my friends Elisa, "Cheryl, im loving what you are doing with your family history!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment from one of my high school friends Tirani "What a cool idea Cheryl! How did I miss days 1-3. Have to review your timeline"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment from my mother, Barbara, "As I take time to pause and give thanks (thru tears) to God for this Man of God my grandfather, who I affectionately called "Daddy", he and my grandmother (Annie, aka, Momma) were gracious enough even after raising four boys and one daughte...r who was challenged that they vowed they would never institutionalaize as long as they lived to take on parenting again with my brother and I who at that time were three and one years old. My brother and I lived a very happy life, no, we did not have a family car, fancy clothes or even a christmas tree or a lot of other things, but more than anything we had two people who loved and cared for us without hesitation, even in tough times because daddy was on disability and Momma suffered from asthma but through it all they continued to lean and depend on Jesus and taught us what "real" love of family is all about. "TO GOD BE THE GLORY FOR THE GREAT THINGS HE HAS DONE"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another comment from my mom, "the house across the street was Aunt Janey's house, she was daddy's sister, back then families usually lived kind of close to one another."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comment from one of my mom's childhood friends, who still calls my mom BJ, Ms. Lenora "BJ and Cheryl - I am reliving this with you!!!
    "Miss Annie and Mr. Joe" - precious memories, how they linger!!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still in awe at what you are doing to create family memories that will last for many, many, many generations. I see Barbara & John which looks like the bride & groom. Am I correct?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, John and Shorty ... are the bride and groom. And there's Mr. jennings who was one of my paper customers (who I knew before I knew Barbara). Also Mom, Pop and Robert (one of the "biggest" buddies I ever had). The memories of that neighborhood are still fresh.

    ReplyDelete