Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 2 of 28 Days of my Family History - Joseph Jennings - My Uncle





So now i'm at day 2 and Im very excited about sharing my family with everyone and getting to know more and more about family that I didnt know.  I was asked what happens after 28 days, especially if you still have family left?  Well then it simply continues.  This has started something in me that I can't tame.  Im on a mission to learn as much as I can about my family and I hope to be able to record all this history for generations to come to know about and never forget.  Hopefully one day, someone else will pick this up and never let it die.  So for my second day Im sharing with you my uncle, Joseph Jennings.  I will start off by saying I miss him very much.  Uncle Joe was my mom's oldest brother,born Dec. 19, 1941, passing from this earth on Oct. 10, 1994. He was the first child of Doris Jennings and Joseph F. Jennings.  He was educated in the Baltimore City School system and continued his education at the Community College of Baltimore obtaining an Associate of Arts Degree in 1975.  In 1959 he joined the US Army and was honorably discharged in 1965 with the rank of Sergeant. He joined the Baltimore City Police Dept in 1969 and retired in 1993 as a Detective Sergeant.  One of his proudest moments was when both of his sons joined him as officers with the Baltimore Police department.   He loved fishing and made sure that he was always available to family and friends whenever he was needed.  My fondest memory is that my uncle was they type who always made sure we always had money in our pockets. Whenever he would see my brothers and I he would secretly give us money to stash in our pockets. We had many great times at his house at family cookouts and functioins and had fun times hanging with our cousins. I miss you uncle Joe!!!

6 comments:

  1. Comment from Aunt Jackie Carter "Jacquelyn Carter A wonderful protector.he is missed by all who knew him.."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment from my mom "Barbara Barton Growing up he was my protector, nobody and I mean, nobody was going to mess with his little sister and get away with it; oh how I miss My Big Brother, so many great memories. R.I.P. Jackie!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment from childhood family friend Ms. Lenora "BJ, I know the feeling! Will never forget the good times on Durham Steet! Jackie - Leroy - Sonny Lee and others - R.I.P. !!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment from a dear family friend Ms. Sandra F. " I am liking the family history. Is 28 days enough? This is a very nice project"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comment from family friend Desiree "Hey Cheryl, I agree with Ms. Fletcher above, I am enjoying this, this was a cool idea. I love family history too and it appears so far that you have the kind of Aunts and Uncles that is why I can enjoy your sharing as the commonality of this."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comment from my cousin Robin "Thank Cuz, thanks for the connect this is such a wonderful idea. I am so impressed. I hope all participate or atleast view blog."

    ReplyDelete